Panel beaters repair damage to metal, plastic and fibreglass bodywork on vehicles. They also make and form vehicle panels using machines or hand tools.
Panel beaters may perform the following tasks:
- remove damaged panels and components by unbolting or cutting them away
- repair damaged body panels with specialist tools and equipment
- use measuring, mechanical and hydraulic equipment to restore vehicles to factory clearances
- cut and join replacement sections or damaged panels using correct welding procedures
- repair dents with plastic fillers and file, grind and sand repaired surfaces using power and hand tools
- fit the repaired panels on the framework of the vehicle and refit body hardware, such as door locks and door trims
- replace badly damaged sections with new or second-hand panels
- realign chassis and body frames using chassis aligners and measuring systems
- remove and replace accident-related mechanical items
- remove and replace auto-electric components
- help vehicle body builders to build custom-designed, speciality or vintage vehicles
- assist with spray painting vehicles.
Panel beaters work in workshops and wear protective clothing.
- enjoy practical and manual work
- able to work with hand tools and machines
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to visualise the end product
- normal colour vision
- good at technical activities.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: