Mechanical Engineering Associate
Mechanical engineering associates assist mechanical engineers and engineering technologists with the design, manufacture, construction, operation and maintenance of machines, manufacturing equipment, mechanical installations and mechanical facilities.
Mechanical engineering associates usually have a range of duties carried out under the direction of mechanical engineers and engineering technologists.
Mechanical engineering associates may perform the following tasks:
- collect and analyse data, carry out complex calculations and prepare diagrams
- organise and supervise the manufacture, operation and maintenance of plant machinery and equipment such as engines, air conditioners and other mechanical equipment
- assemble and install new or altered mechanical equipment, parts, machine tools and controls, and help to construct, maintain and repair engineering machinery
- perform or direct field or laboratory testing and analysis of results
- estimate machinery requirements and material costs and quantities
- produce designs, detailed drawings and documentation, manually or with the aid of Computer-Aided Design (CAD), under the direction of mechanical engineers and technologists
- make sure that designs and finished work comply with the required specifications, regulations and contracts
- select tools and equipment
- organise and supervise inspection and maintenance of machinery and plant.
Mechanical engineering associates may specialise in areas such as mechanical handling (involving cranes, lifts, conveyors and transfer lines), jigs and tools (associated with most manufacturing plants), building services (such as air conditioning, pipe and duct layouts) and consumer products (such as washing machines and general domestic appliances).
Mechanical engineering associates work in offices, technical laboratories, workshops or on-site. They work in teams, usually reporting to engineers or technologists, supervising technicians and tradespeople.
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- interested in machinery design and application
- able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for computing and design
- practical and creative
- able to work independently or as part of a team
- able to accept responsibility.
- Civil and Structural Engineering Associate
- Electrical Engineering Associate
- Electronics Engineering Associate
- Mechanical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: