Integrated ratings carry out maintenance and lookout duties on the decks and in the engine rooms of merchant ships.
Integrated ratings may perform the following tasks:
- maintain deck equipment, cargo gear, rigging, and lifesaving and firefighting appliances
- assist with standing lookout at sea, and alert deck officers when other vessels, navigation marks or hazards are sighted
- steer the ship under supervision
- secure cargoes and splice wires and ropes
- handle rope and wire mooring lines, gangways and ladders when the ship is berthing and unberthing
- maintain the cleanliness of decks and structures
- remove rust from, treat and paint the ship's sides and structures
- assist with maintaining a watch in the ship's engine room
- assist with maintaining and repairing the ship's engines and mechanical equipment
- participate in safety drills under the direction of the ship's officers
- clean the ship's cargo compartment and the fresh water, ballast and oil tanks.
Integrated ratings may spend long periods at sea.
When steering the ship, on lookout duty or on watch, integrated ratings work under the direction of the officer of the watch. When in the engine room, they work under the direction of engineering officers. Integrated ratings may be required to work in confined spaces following safety protocols.
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- enjoy manual activities
- able to pass a medical examination and eyesight test
- normal colour vision
- enjoy life at sea
- mechanical aptitude.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: