Fitness instructors are involved in the assessment, teaching, training and supervision of a variety of people in health and fitness clubs, gymnasiums, sports centres and community recreation organisations.
Fitness instructors may perform the following tasks:
- assess the needs and capabilities of individuals through weighing, measuring and conducting fitness tests to check blood pressure, heart rate and lung capacity
- provide training and assistance to individuals and groups by preparing a routine of exercises to music
- provide advice to individuals on the correct method of exercising with weightlifting equipment, exercise bikes, treadmills and other training and exercise machines
- devise personal exercise programs for individuals according to age and level of fitness
- provide instruction in a variety of fitness activities
- assist in the cleaning and general maintenance of the centre and make sure that equipment is maintained and correctly set up.
Fitness instructors may specialise in fields such as aerobics, aqua-fitness, personal training, exercise for specific groups (such as older people), resistance training and swimming.
Specialist Exercise Trainer
A specialist exercise trainer delivers advanced exercise programming and sports conditioning to a wide variety of clients. They may work in collaboration with allied health professionals like medical practitioners, dietitians, physiotherapists and exercise physiologists. They may also be involved in the delivery of health promotion programs and project management.
Fitness instructors may be employed on a casual basis and work at a number of different locations, including fitness centres, clinical settings, private practice and in the workplace. Shiftwork is often involved, including early mornings and late nights.
- good level of physical fitness
- enthusiastic, outgoing personality
- background in fitness activities may be an advantage
- good communication skills.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: