Architectural technicians complete architects' and other designers' concepts by preparing drawings, estimates and plans and liaising with builders and contractors.
Architectural technicians may perform the following tasks:
- prepare architectural drawings for development and construction applications, showing internal and external layouts of buildings
- analyse architects' and building designers' concepts, and prepare preliminary sketches and detailed drawings
- use computers or manually produce designs, detailed drawings and documentation
- prepare working drawings showing site layouts, floor plans, elevations, sections, materials and finishes, as well as other aspects such as joinery detailing, construction details, lighting layouts, plumbing, drainage, car parking and landscaping
- calculate the quantity and quality of materials needed, material and labour costs and project completion dates
- prepare building specifications for building documentation to suit individual clients and tendering purposes
- represent or assist architects or building designers on building sites to make sure that plans and specifications are followed
- liaise with local government organisations
- examine relevant codes and by-laws in the course of undertaking project documentation.
A building designer an independent architectural technician who designs and prepares plans for buildings on behalf of a client. They manage the building design process from design brief to completion. This includes liaison with other designers and specialists such as structural and civil engineers; electrical, mechanical and hydraulic consultants; builders; surveyors; and landscapers throughout the building process.
Architectural technicians spend some time outdoors inspecting sites.
- able to visualise ideas in three-dimensional form
- enjoy technical drawing and working with computers
- able to draw neatly and accurately
- good concentration and attention to detail
- some artistic talent in freehand drawing.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: