Aerospace engineers perform and supervise the design, development, manufacture and maintenance work of all types of flight vehicles. This may include military and civilian aeroplanes, helicopters, missiles, launch vehicles, spacecraft, satellites and control and guidance systems.
Aerospace engineers may perform the following tasks:
- plan and design aircraft, aircraft parts and support equipment by preparing drawings and making mathematical calculations, often aided by computer systems
- design modifications to systems such as fuel or air conditioning and outline installation procedures
- conduct tests to measure the performance of an aircraft or part, or to make sure that design specifications and airworthiness requirements are met
- supervise the assembly of airframes and the installation of engines, instruments and other equipment (when installing extra fuel tanks, decide where the tanks are to be placed and check that the support structure of the aircraft is strong enough to carry the extra weight, for example)
- investigate failed engines or other aviation components
- develop procedures for the repair of aviation components
- work out and manage schedules for repairs and maintenance
- assess mechanical systems, flight characteristics and aircraft performance
- participate in flight test programs to measure take-off distances, rate of climb, stall speeds, manoeuvrability and landing capacities
- evaluate new and used aircraft and advise potential purchasers
- if working for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, make sure of the airworthiness of Australian aircraft by assessing the manufacturer's information and the aircraft's structure, electrical and avionics instruments and power plants.
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- analytical and problem-solving ability
- good oral and written communication skills
- practical and creative ability
- able to work without supervision and accept responsibility
- able to work as part of a team
- normal colour vision may be required.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: