Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Health Worker
Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander health workers provide clinical and primary health care for individuals, families and community groups. They deal with patients, clients and visitors to hospitals and health clinics, and assist in arranging, coordinating and providing health care in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community health clinics.
Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander health workers may choose to specialise in particular health areas such as optical, hearing, women's health or infant care.
Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander health workers may perform the following tasks:
- treat diseases or injuries
- maintain health records and statistics
- act as a communicator and/or interpreter on behalf of clients and other health workers
- take part in case management and follow-up, independently or with other healthcare providers
- provide health education to individual clients and health staff
- provide cultural education to people outside the cultural community
- provide life skills education to the community they serve
- provide counselling and referral for crisis problem cases
- provide input to the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all health programs in the community
- carry out administrative duties including budgeting and correspondence.
Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Hospital Liaison
An Aboriginal/Torres Strait islander hospital liaison provides support and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and families in hospitals and other healthcare facilities to help them feel comfortable and safe during their treatment. They help patients communicate with healthcare professionals, government agencies and other staff while they are in hospital.
Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander health workers may work in remote communities or in metropolitan areas. They may be required to work shifts or travel long distances to visit remote communities.
- good communication and negotiation skills
- organisational ability
- cultural awareness and sensitivity
- able to work independently and as part of a team.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: