Teacher - Early Childhood
Early childhood teachers plan and conduct education programs for young children.
Early childhood teachers may perform the following tasks:
- plan activities using a variety of materials and equipment to develop good coordination, social skills, creativity, self-expression and an interest in learning
- promote language development and self-confidence through storytelling, drama, music and discussions
- help to organise and participate in excursions to enhance learning experiences
- encourage children to question and explore the world in which they live
- observe children to evaluate and record their progress and to detect signs of developmental disorders, ill health or emotional disturbance
- recommend appropriate programs for further development
- work with guidance officers, speech pathologists and psychologists to assist children with special needs
- help integrate children with special needs into mainstream classes
- promote health and safety concepts and social interaction with other children
- promote awareness and appreciation of diversity in multicultural societies
- attend to sick children and those in need of first aid
- comfort children who are hurt or distressed
- assist children with their toileting and personal hygiene
- discuss aspects of children's development with parents and other educators
- discuss the aims of the education program with parents
- participate in community activities and parent/staff committees
- supervise and work with student teachers and trainee childcare workers.
Early childhood teachers work in state or territory pre-school centres, early education classes, community kindergartens and community childcare centres.
- able to relate to children and their families
- a keen desire to teach children
- willing to learn
- good problem-solving skills
- sound literacy and numeracy skills
- high-level planning and organisational skills
- enthusiasm, tact, patience and a sense of humour
- prepared to work outside of school hours.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: