Agricultural Technical Officer
Agricultural technical officers provide complex technical support and advise on aspects of agriculture such as research, production, servicing and marketing.
Agricultural technical officers may perform the following tasks:
- work with agricultural scientists using small plot experiments to compare plant varieties and test the effects of various treatments on growth and yield
- work with soil scientists to study irrigation techniques and analyse plants used in soil treatment experiments
- work with plant breeders to produce new strains and select superior products
- work with animal breeders using artificial insemination techniques to produce offspring that mature earlier
- record and interpret experimental data in field experiments
- interpret aerial photographs and prepare maps showing soil and vegetation patterns
- assist in the chemical analysis and laboratory culture of microorganisms that cause diseases in plants and animals
- carry out research and provide advice about various technical issues.
Artificial Insemination Technical Officer
An artificial insemination technical officer uses artificial insemination techniques and controlled breeding experiments to develop improved livestock and herd strains.
Horticultural Technical Officer
A horticultural technical officer works on new methods of planting, fertilising, harvesting, processing and transporting crops, including fruit, vegetables, flowers and ornamental nursery crops.
Poultry Technical Officer
A poultry technical officer is involved in the production, management, processing and marketing of eggs, chickens, turkeys and game birds, including breeding and disease control.
Agricultural technical officers may work in laboratories, in the field or both. They usually work in a team with other scientists.
- good at science
- able to analyse and solve problems
- enjoy agriculture and the environment
- able to make accurate observations and recordings
- able to work as part of a team
- enjoy working outdoors.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: